A handy guide to buying your own equestrian silica sand
Many arena owners and potential self-builders ask us “Can I buy the sand myself – will this be cheaper?”
The answer is a cautious “Yes”, you could potentially make a cost saving – but with certain caveats:
- It could involve more leg-work, logistical planning and a longer overall time-frame as you will need to factor in ordering, delivery & installation of sand and then arena fibre. Consider what your own time is worth, and whether you have sufficient amounts of time & patience available. Alternatively, a Trojan pre-mixed surface by Leisure Ride is simply delivered and installed – ready to ride as soon as it’s down on the base.
- A surface that has fibre added to silica sand in situ will require greater aftercare than a pre-mixed surface. You will need to factor in the time and effort of harrowing daily for 6-8 weeks for the surface to bed in effectively. Be cautious of anyone that tells you otherwise.
- When you install arena fibre to the equestrian silica sand in situ on a base, you cannot mix the fibre through the entire depth as the machinery used will only penetrate so far (or you may damage the membrane or dig up the base) – For this reason the results with the correct equestrian silica sands are often excellent, but not as effective as a pre-mixed surface which has fibre all the way through the entire depth of surface. This is especially important if you are planning on lunging – lunging on a surface with fibre only in the top few inches will, after a while, scrape the fibre to one side exposing the ‘clean’ sand below.
- A proportion of the cost of your new surface is haulage – this is calculated by distance and number of loads required. Distance is calculated either from your supplier (i.e us!) or distance from the sand quarry. A typical arena surface will be a minimum of 120 tonnes or more depending on arena size. This equates to several lorry loads – even with the biggest lorries (subject to access at your site). Therefore if you are closer to us than an equestrian silica sand quarry you may not save much, if anything, and a pre-mixed surface will be just as much value and a better surface from the off.
- To create an effective stable riding surface only certain silica sands will do the job. There are only certain silica sand types suitable for equestrian use, available at a few UK quarries, many of whom won’t supply direct to the public.
At Leisure Ride Group we have relationships with these quarries and can order the supply of the correct equestrian silica sands direct to your site, choosing the closest quarry to your location for cost-effective haulage.
Once you have your sand ordered we can supply you the self-builder with the very best quality arena fibre in wrapped bales to mix with the sands to create your surface. Or, we can deliver the fibre and install it for you on site, usually in under a day in a pre-prepared sand bed.
- 100% Polyester Fibre
- New, unused product – not reclaimed carpet
- It won’t rot, and is resistant to UV – unlike many others
- Fibre for stabilising sand
- Fibre for adding cushioning and bounce
- Attractive in appearance
- No auto-rubber, wire, plastic, glue, carpet backing or other nasties in it
- The same fibres are used in all our premium premixed surfaces – as used by Carl Hester
- Available by the bale (approx 300KG) – orders from single bales taken. UK-wide delivery
- Wrapped bales – clean and easy to handle